Major advancements in website services and technologies have made launching a website easier than ever, however, optimizing a site for user experience (UX) is a whole other game. UX design is more than just creating a holistic experience to avoid confusing, frustrating or counter-intuitive interactions on your website.
Although this is part of the UX makeup, the real business value of UX design is to create tactics and solutions which are optimized for your customers, to increase conversation rates, brand loyalty and trust.
UX design is by far the easiest way for a business to re-coup ROI and to stand out from the competition.
UX is the primary mechanism for how customers interpret your brand and what you do. It allows customers to form an emotional connection with your brand and to determine if your products and/or services are the right fit for them, over their alternatives.
Unfortunately, many businesses will try to push back on UX design.
Common objections are:
Fair objections, but UX design is a specialist skill set which balances human psychology, usability, and design by making technology more accessible to people of different ages, nationalities, levels of education, tech literacy, physical and mental abilities or disabilities.
UX finds the balance between the rational and irrational parts of human life and activity.
1. Focusing on UX will reduce support costs by up to 90%.
2. Every $2 invested in UX will return $100 in business value.
3. 50% of a developer’s time, which is typically 50% of a project cost, is spent doing UX rework when not invested at the beginning.
4. Fixing UX errors after development is up to 100x more expensive than if done at the beginning of a project.
1. 67% of customers will purchase products on mobile sites with a good UX experience. Google also prioritizes websites that are optimized for mobile experiences.
2. 61% of customers will go to a competitor’s website if they’re immediately unable to find what they’re looking for. Strategic UX can raise conversion rates by up to 400%
3. Mobile users are 5x more likely to abandon a task if UX is not optimized for mobile experiences.
4. UX optimized websites will have a 50% decrease in bounce rates and up to a 70% increase in product sales.
1. By 2020, UX will overtake price and product as the single most important brand differentiator.
2. 40% of customers will go to the competition after a single bad UX experience.
3. 20% of customers are less likely to switch brands when the brand provides good UX.
4. 94% of all first impressions are UX design-related and first impressions matter!
UX design is the human element of technology, it is the sum total of what your customer wants, does, sees, thinks and feels, and in today’s digital environment, it’s more important than ever to let customer-centricity through UX, drive digital design and development.
What does a UX designer do? A UX designer:
1. Maps out the website, organize the content and create way finders to ensure customers can find what they’re looking for, and accomplish what they’ve set out to do.
2. Identify, understands and align the customer goals to the client goals. They ensure clients, designers, and developers have a consensus on what will be accomplished and how it will be quantitatively and qualitatively measured.
3. Makes your products and/or services accessible for customers by designing and advocating for their myriad of needs including responsive design, page speed, and browser considerations.
UX design when coupled with other activities like SEO or SEM is a force to be reckoned with. Think about it like this: SEO and SEM will get more visitors to your website, UX design will keep them on your website and away from the competition.
Looking for a UX designer to take your website to the next level? Honest Fox does customer-centric, website design and development, as well as inbound marketing and consulting for clients across all industry verticals.
Get in touch if you’d like to work with us on your next project.
Diverting from a career in Architecture, Linda uses the left and right side of her brain equally. She's been with Honest Fox from the beginning and is involved in all facets of the business. She's empathetic and kind and loves punk music.